Current farming methods are simply not sustainable. ZCF operates an indoor farm 70x more productive and runs entirely on renewable energy. It supplies blue-chip customers with local, nutritious & sustainable produce all year round. They are now raising to build a second, automated farm in London.
Who'd have thought that a conversation (and a few pints) between 2 friends would lead to a farm 33 metres under London? Enthused by the writings of Despommier & Rifkin, our founders were convinced there was a sustainable way to meet the food demands of a growing population.
We're one of the first Controlled Environment Farms to supply major retailers & food service distributors across the UK, under our recognisable brand ‘Growing Underground’. Also, one of the first to achieve food safety accreditations: Red Tractor, BRC & M&S Select Farms. We're carbon neutral, powered by 100% renewable energy & on track to be certified B Corp later this year.
- Highest placed UK AgTech company in this year’s FoodTech 500, ranking 15th globally
- Strategic relationship in Food Service & Retail
- Academic R&D partnerships with Cambridge Uni, NTU & Alan Turing Institute
- Reduced growing days by up to 50% & increased average yields by 20%
- Licensing 5 years of valuable proprietary growing data
- Plans in place to launch a global hair care line with a cosmetics brand
- Achieved a CAGR of 76% between 2017-20 (Rev FY19/20 £448k P&L -£1,042k)
- Supplied 274,863 units of fresh produce in FY 19/20
We're raising funds to build a 2nd farm on a new site, automate key processes (allowing us to reduce production labour time by 44%) & invest in further yield improving technologies. Join us!