Established in 2001, Taurus Wines is a multi-award winning, independent wine merchant and importer based in the Surrey Hills. The family-run business projects over £1m annual turnover to y/e August 2017 and is now raising to open two further shops in the affluent region.
Taurus Wines began in 2001 when proprietor Rupert Pritchett put a fax machine on a trestle table in an old cow shed and started his mail-order wine business. Taurus Wines now expects over £1m turnover for y/e August 2017from its shop and online, with a steady growth.
In January 2018, we will take on a renovated barn on our existing site, with the aim to create the best independent wine shop in SE England:
- More than triple our current retail space (1500 sq ft) for increased turnover
- Wine dispensing machines, which we estimate will drive overall turnover by up to 28%
- Tasting room to drive customer engagement, with winemaker dinners etc.
- Fine wine department to sell higher value goods
We also plan to open another shop in the Surrey Hills in Autumn 2018 - this one just three miles from Guildford.
Highlights & Awards
The team work hard to ensure that Taurus is always at the top of the wine trade game and have been awarded:
- Best Independent for French Wine 2013 (Harpers Wine & Spirit)
- Argentinian wine importer of the year 2013 (Wines of Argentina)
- Independent Wine Merchant 2010 & 2014 (Wines of Chile)
- Independent Retailer of the Year 2008 (Drinks Business Awards)
- Best Wine Merchant in Surrey 2016 (Muddy Stiletto Awards)
Taurus Wines was also awarded the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Warrant, as the wine merchant chosen to supply wines to the royal barge, The Spirit of Chartwell.