Blackshore focuses on the growing menswear market for stylish, made-in-Britain, casual-wear for men aged 35 plus. The business, named from the Suffolk fishing harbour where it was born, has its first collection sampled and ready for production, website built, and an experienced team in place.
We felt that the affluent, stylish men over 35 do not currently have a signature brand of character and quality to turn to when relaxing at the coast.
Blackshore offers a product and brand narrative which is distinctly male, specifically focused on relaxed style, and with a coastal aesthetic which targets the affluent male relaxing at coastal resorts all around the UK.
Blackshore is the brainchild of Simon Middleton, original founder of menswear and lifestyle brand Shackleton (a luxury brand aimed at the adventure market).
The menswear market, particularly in casual wear, is showing positive growth.
From Mintel's 2016 Menswear report:
• In 2015, the UK men’s clothing market grew by 4.1% to reach £14.1 billion, up from £11.4 billion in 2010.
• The market is forecast to grow by 22.5% between 2015 and 2020 to reach £17.2 billion.
• The global menswear market is worth $402 billion with an annual growth in the UK of 4.5% compared to growth of 3.7% in womenswear.
• 88% of men bought clothes for themselves in-store or online in the 12 months to December 2015, rising to 94% of Londoners. Note that our target audience is highly focused on Londoners who are visiting coastal towns and villages.
• Although menswear still only accounts for one quarter (25%) of the total clothing market, Mintel research reveals that it is growing at a faster rate than womenswear, which grew by 3.7% in 2015.